Wednesday 5 November 2014

WOYWW 283

For details of how to join in the world’s most famous weekly nosey fest, please click on the WOYWW logo in my sidebar, which will take you to our hostess Julia’s blog, where you can find out what it’s all about.

First of all, I’m sorry to have visited so few of you last week. We’ve had a lot of problems with Mum who has been very difficult this week, and in between I’ve been alternately feeling extremely poorly (probably due to stress) and very busy trying to catch up with everything. My poor hubby has been feeling the strain too, and has been quite wonderful throughout, bless him. Time in my ARTHaven when I’ve managed it, has been amazingly therapeutic and stress-busting – my favourite room in the house is well named because it really is a haven from the stresses of our present life!

Here is my desk today.

WOYWW 283

On the left you will see the recycled mini-album I’ve been working on. I am desperately trying to get it finished by the end of the year but I think that may be over-optimistic! It is open at the latest page to be completed, relating to family holidays at the seaside in the 1950s and 60s. You can see more here.

Today I started on the next section, which will be about Scotland – Scottish ancestry and holidays north of the border. I have made the second tag for insertion in the album, which you can see under the distress ink pad. I coloured it with distress stains, and made a puller for it at the top with a thistle drawn on either side, and coloured with the distress inks you can see in the picture. I have done some journaling on this with a black archival pen. The tag is similarly coloured on the reverse, where the journaling continues. It will be inserted into the pocket I have created at the centre of the current signature that I am working on.

Earlier in the week I completed the page I showed you last week:

30 Early Family Life Title Completed

and also finished the next page.

32 Early 1950s Page Completed

This is the finished page, as on this week’s desk photo above:

53 Sun Sea & Sand Finished Page

introducing a bit more colour into the album. I am still continuing with the black and white borders throughout. I need to cut back on the embellishments from now on as the book is getting alarmingly thick and I’ve only just started the second signature! I thought I’d allowed myself lots of room for added thickness on the pages, but it’s amazing how quickly they bulk up.

This week I also hit a major milestone – I got my new sewing machine going! After I got it in the early summer, I put it on the back burner because there were other things I needed to concentrate on, but this week, I needed to alter a mattress cover to convert it from double to single size, and this was a good project to start with, as it was basically just sewing straight seams.

The machine is MUCH more complicated than my old one! The whole job took simply ages, because I took so long pouring over the book just trying to discover how to thread the thing for starters! It is covered with buttons and lights, and so far I’m only dimly aware of what they all do, but I am quite sure that before long, it will all be second nature to me. At least I’ve discovered I can turn it on, and I can do straight stitching and zig-zag, so that’s a start!!

Beatrice, our older cat, has been put on yet another course of antibiotics, and we are now trying her with a different Hill’s Science Plan diet, this time for bladder health. We’ve got to watch her to make sure she isn’t intolerant to it, because she’s been on the Hill’s gastro-intestinal diet up until now, which she is able to keep down – she has such a delicate little tummy! She seems happy enough and well enough, but we just can’t seem to get on top of the infection. I had a long chat about her with the lovely vet who calls himself “Uncle Luke” and who has a massive soft spot for Beatrice – they all love her down at the surgery because she’s such a character and such a good girl when she’s there! (I hope by calling himself Uncle Luke, he isn’t expecting us to come up with a hamper from Fortnum’s at Christmas, like Mrs. Pumphfrey in “All Creatures Great and Small” who had the overfed Pekinese and called the vet “Uncle Herriot”!!) Beatrice has started growing her winter coat and it’s amazingly soft and fluffy, but she’s way too thin underneath. We are feeding her little and often to try to build her up.

Not sure how much I shall get done in my ARTHaven this week, or how many desks I’ll manage to visit. Friends for tea on Thursday, then doctor’s appointment on Friday (another blood test to see if I’m still anaemic). I’m also in the throes of sorting out all my summer and winter clothes, to make the transition now it’s got so much colder!

Have a great week, everybody, and happy WOYWW!

17 comments:

  1. Your album looks fantastic Shoshi! I just love those black and white doodle borders! Don't rush the completion, take your time! You can't hurry art! Have great week! zsuzsa @ InkyDinkyDoodle #42

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Shoshi! This album is awesome!! I love the different sized pages that let you see the ones underneath. Great work!
    Cheers
    Gabriele 30

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your album really is a treasure, Shoshi. Congratulations on getting the sewing going again, I've been thinking on a few stitchy projects, myself.

    Oh kitties, they run our lives, the naughty precious things! I hope your Beatrice continues to get better.

    Happy woyww to you!
    :)trisha
    #54 this week with
    painty things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what lovely pussy cats and I hope she gets well. She sounds a real love. Your art haven looks marvelous and The album is lovely. They do tend to become bulky regardless of how you make them once you add ephemera.

    Hope you feel better soon
    Monica #48

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are managing to find some time just for you in your crafty space, Shoshi. We all need to escape and relax. You certainly look as though you are being creative, I love your book.
    I had to laugh at Mrs Pumphfrey!!! What a fantastic series that was!
    Hugs Lisax #33

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your kitty gets better soon. Nothing worse than having sick furry friends. They are almost more part of the family than the people. Great mini album pages you have been doing. I like the black and white doodles on the edges. #22

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your album looks so lovely, Shoshi you can tell you have put a lot of work into it. Sorry to here you are going through a stressful time at the moment hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous album Shoshi, it's really coming along. Sorry to hear about Beatrice's continuing problems - I had a chuckle about the hamper!! I need to make some time to do the clothes thing as well, the spaghetti straps can make way for the the fluffy jumpers!! I'm already in my flannelette pjs, don't like the cold one bit. Happy WOYWW, Cindy #38

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear things haven't been going too well, hope things improve soon.
    Happy crafting when you get the chance, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your mini album. That splash of colour is just perfect. I hope things improve both health wise and mum wise. I can sympathise with you as I'm having trouble looking after my dad. Take a deep breath and hide :)
    Luv Von #23

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a small bag of the moldable pellets from my hubby, but I can't seem to be able to get any more. They are user friendly! these products are also quite user friendly, just the one has bad fumes which are not good to breath in so you have to use in a well ventilated area. I am having such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shoshi I justlove your mini album - you're very creative, I black and white border is terrific. Take care RobynO#39

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, lots of hugs, Shoshi - I know just how you're feeling. Hang on in there and make the most of cuddles with Beatrice, and the support from your lovely DH. I get really stressed here, too, and then my eczema flares up to start a vicious circle. Take a deep breath, know that you are one amazing person, you have a Father who loves you, and be kind to yourself. So glad you find relief and relaxation in making that lovely album - but don't beat yourself up about a finishing date for it - enjoy the ride! Hugs, Chris # 7

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah wodnerful work there Shoshi what a precious thing indeed!
    ,,,happy belated WOYWW Shaz in Oz.x #74

    ReplyDelete
  15. You mini album is really taking shape. Each page beautiful in it's own way.
    Oh poor Beatrice. I hope she recovers with all the TLC she is getting from you and Uncle Luke.
    I've been changing my wardrobe too. There's a lot to sort out.
    I hope all is well with your blood results. I've been praying for you.
    Sorry I'm so late in commenting. I like to comment on all of the posts but there just aren't enough hours in the day...
    Thank you for letting me look over your shoulder.
    Have a good week.
    Hugs,
    Lisca#28

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, the album is looking beautiful - I LOVE the blue pages - so summery and happy! I can't wait to see the thistle page - I love Scotland and anything thistly! I hope the coming week is better for you, sorry to hear you've been having a difficult time - take care,
    Diana x

    ReplyDelete
  17. fantastic album Shoshi! I love all the pages and you have put so much love and work into it...you can tell. Hope the Anemia is better. Vickie #68

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...