Wednesday 22 August 2012

WOYWW 168

I’m doing this a bit later than usual (in the small hours of Wednesday morning) because there’s been a bit of a crisis with my parents – my dad is poorly with an infection and has become quite confused, and my mum phoned this evening because they had a flood due to a leaking pipe. We had to go over, and found my dad in quite a state, and my mum trying to clear up the mess, so we phoned the all-night duty doctor, and had to wait for him to arrive, and then sort out what needed to be done. My hubby will have to pick up a few things in the morning and arrange an appointment with my dad’s regular GP, but at least our worst fears weren’t realised, and he didn’t end up in hospital. They are both very elderly and quite vulnerable now, and their house still hasn’t sold – the whole situation is fairly precarious and we may have to drop everything at any time and rush over and sort out whatever crisis arises.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand – my work space! “What’s On Your Workdesk Wednesday” – the world’s greatest nosey fest! Click on the WOYWW link in my right-hand sidebar to visit our lovely hostess Julia’s blog for further info.

I’ve had another busy week doing lots of sorting and chucking out and generally downsizing – see my previous post for details. This is how it looked on Tuesday afternoon, viewed from the door.

I’m very thrilled with the extra space it’s created. There’s still quite a lot more to do – scanning documents and photos, and further weeding out of the boxes on the big shelving unit beyond the book case. I’ve now got my gift-wrapping papers in the top drawer of the filing cabinet, which has got rid of another box, and the middle drawer is filling up with old cassette tapes that need wiping off before sending to the recycling centre. The bottom drawer is broken – you can see the new runners I got from Amazon, on the floor in front, waiting to be fitted. Here’s an annotated photo so you can find your way around!

Now for the desk itself. I’ve had a fun time a couple of days ago, working on a project that I can’t share with you just yet because I don’t want to spoil someone’s surprise, but watch this space for details, hopefully in a few days.

Here’s the annotated version!

I will be doing further blog posts on all the activities on my desk this week. The water droplets stamp is from Ryn – see my recent post about her here. The gorgeous stamps I ordered from her came on Saturday and I’m super-thrilled with them. The experimental piece, stamping on Angelina fibres, was done with her fish stamp, fusing the fibres with an iron over the stamp – full details will follow in due course.

The flowers for Judy are now nearly complete but I’ve got a couple more techniques I want to try before I send them off. In the first photo you can see the poly-wallet on the floor beside Sheba, full of the most gorgeous vibrant fabric flowers Judy sent me for the swap we are doing – I’ll show you these in due course, I promise! Once I’ve finished the flowers for her, I’ll photograph hers and mine properly so that I can share them with you.

I’ve got a few more flower and butterfly pieces cut from watercolour card that I want to colour with my Dylusions ink sprays, and I’ve got a few more flower pieces inked and ready to make up.

Hope you enjoy my annotated photos this week!

Sorry I didn’t manage to visit many of your blogs last week – with my clearing, I’ve been very busy, and pretty tired afterwards! Not sure how well I’ll do this week either, as there’s a fair bit on, and we’re not sure what will happen with my parents. Have a happy WOYWW everyone, and a great week ahead. Hopefully we’ll all get the opportunity to be creative.

26 comments:

  1. Oh Shoshi, I can identify with ageing parents still struggling along in their hope. I am so sorry you've had these worries. At least your dad hasn't had to go to hospital.That would be awful. Oh, and leaking pipes. Thinking of you honey.
    Judy #40 I'll e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also meant to say, that your desk is so inviting I want to fly right through the screen and work at your table!! It looks gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy WOYWW and so glad I visited you. I love to see reorganisation of craft spaces. How clever to annotate your photos. So much fab crafting going on. Ali x #55

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear - hope your dad is ok and that the house gets sold soon. It can be a very anxious time for them and you. I cared for my mum for many years (she was in a home for eleven of them) so know how sad it is to see them getting older and frailer. Thinking of you ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you are having a distressing time, so thank you for finding time to share your space again! hope your parents get settled soon. Helen 19

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your parents - it's such a worry when they are elderly - my mum is 90 and now has dementia. You are getting so organised - love the way you've labelled everything. Thanks for sharing your workspace. Hope you have a good week. Hazel WOYWW #8 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. great looking workspace and desk Shoshi! Lots of fun things to see! Sorry to hear about your folks being poorly. I hope their house sells soon. Have a great week and thanks for sharing. Vickie #68

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy downsizing Shoshi.

    Hope things improve for your parents.

    Happy WOYWWW.

    Hugs, Sandra Take a peek at MY DESK here

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of lovely happenings in your room and on your desk. I'm confused by the "noun, not verb" though!! Good luck with the rest of the sort out and hope you enjoy revelling in the extra space! Happy WOYWW! Victoria no.87

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear Shoshi, I'll keep the four of you in my prayers.
    Looking by the space under the desk I do hope you have small feet!! :)
    Have a good week,
    Laura
    97

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww Shoshi, I am so sorry to hear about your parents troubles yesterday *hug* but I am relieved to hear that your dad didn't need hospitalising. Am hoping he recovers well and I will keep you all in my prayers.

    What a great idea to annotate your pictures - perfect for a real nosy nose like mine who likes to see EXActly what's going on, hehe. Only one question (just now) what are 'Ink dusters?'

    Sending hugs for a happy(er) end to your WOYWW
    Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the situation with your parents improves soon!!! Very scary for everyone! Can't wait to see all the flowers you've been working on!!!

    Jeannie #62

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shoshi. You've had quite a wek. The transformation of your room is great. I'm looking forward to seeing the flowers.
    I haven't stamped on angelina fibres for years, but I have had some fun with that. I hope yours turns out how you want it to.
    I do hope the situation with your parents sorts itself out soon.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awh, I'm sorry to hear about your dad, it scary as they start getting older. My dad had a fall a couple weeks ago and was in hospital for a few days :(

    WOW! How amazing is your work space and lol at how organised you are with your posts, in awe! Loving browsing through your desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shoshi, sorry to hear about your Dad, hopefully he will improve soon, glad he did not need to go to hospital too. Your room looks better again this week, you have done a great job of downsizing. Hope the stuff is not still on the landing though.........A x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is strange when we start caring for our parents isn't it? Great supplies on your desk.. #138

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Shoshi, I hope your Dad and Mum are doing better and there are no more leaky pipes. I see you have been very busy. I like the way you have everything on a shelf around your work area. I like having everything within reach. Have fun creating and lots of Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Shoshi my you have been busy and so organised now....so when can I book you to do my room? LOL. Enjoy your crafty space. Hugs Erika. #89

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear of your dad's health issues and the leaky pipe at their home. Sure hope he's doing better soon. And I hope they can sell their home soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow... I love your annotated photos - how clever! Sorry to hear things have been difficult for your parents... how lovely for them to know you're willing to drop everything and come to help.
    Alison x
    #101

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your corner crafting space, you have everything in arms reach it seems! Hope your dad is doing better, even I would be in a state with a leaking pipe and a house up for sale! yikes! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Shoshi, my heart goes out to you trying to take care of your parents! Steve and I are in teh same situation with mine. We get those phone calls too, it is a scary 45 min. ride to get there! I enjoy looking at you craft room and your crafting!! Thanks for sharing, I will keep you in my prayers - really!
    Ginny M #132

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope your parents are okay, such a worry. Mine are old but luckily in great health and only live up the road from me, so I can keep an eye on them (ha, it used to be the other way around). Such a shame their house hasn't sold yet. Fingers crossed, it will all happen soon and you can be together and look after them. Your room is coming along nicely but still don't see how you could get rid of any of it. Will the new house have a garage. The others could live in there and you could have the rest of the house for craft (he he). Love your flowers and cut outs. I would love to have a go at all that but you need so much stuff to cut them out and I have no room now.
    Have fun clearing out and I hope dad gets better soon.
    Von #45.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds like you've got your hands full Shoshi...I hope everything turns out okay with your Dad's health, leaky pipes, and house sales!
    It's a lot to deal with...I'm surprised you even got to post your desk photo (especially with all those arrows to arrange ;D)
    Wishing you well and maybe some time to relax and create ~ take care :D
    Neesie #11

    ReplyDelete
  25. You really are making great progress! So much floor space, you can almost throw a party in there. Love all those flowers, they are just wonderful.
    I hope your dad is feeling a lot better by now and there are no more dramas to sort out till the house gets sold.
    Happy belated WOYWW!
    Tertia #52

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both my mum and dad are in their 80's and can be a bit of a worry. They seem to get smaller every day. My dad has suddenly stopped doing everything and just watches Telly, but mum is very busy all the time!...ohoo she's just signed on...I can see in the pop up in the right hand corner. She's always busy! (wobbly but busy!) I was so sure I commented eariler and I loved reading all your bits on the photo! I like you know that we might not know where the phone is!! Hope you are feeling a lot better.
    Have a great week, thanks for my snoop! Happy WOYWW
    ((Lyn)) #18

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...