Wednesday 1 August 2012

WOYWW 165

Not a lot to report chez Shosh this week I’m afraid – a combination of things have kept me pretty busy. Apart from feeling somewhat exhausted after all this, another huge factor in Shoshi’s non-productive desk is the “O” word – I’m pretty much glued to the telly at the moment! (This has also resulted in me being pathetic at visiting people’s desks, I’m afraid!) (To find out what this is all about, click the WOYWW link in my sidebar.)

Add to this the fact that the power adaptor on my large laptop (with all my graphics stuff on it) has failed and I’m awaiting the arrival of a replacement. This means there is no photo of my desk for this week – but never mind, there isn’t anything worth photographing on there anyway – just boring office papers!

Last week in all the lovely comments I received – thanks everybody! – two main questions came up. One was about my annotated photo – so glad you all enjoyed that so much!! – how did I do it? If you have got access to a desk-top publishing program it’s a doddle, because every element on your page is treated as a separate unit and can be moved and re-sized at will, whether it’s pictures, text frames, lines – these can have arrow heads added on their ends, and made thicker and a different colour so they show up.

If you’ve got Microsoft Office installed on your computer, Microsoft Publisher should be included, which is a desktop publishing application. I haven’t used this, but most of these programs behave in much the same way, although obviously the interface will vary between them.If you haven’t got access to this, or another DTP application, I recently came across an open-source (free) DTP program called Scribus, which again I haven’t tried.

I used Serif PagePlus. I started a new A4 landscape page with a white background, and imported the photo of my desk, re-sized it appropriately, and centred it in the middle of my white sheet, using the Alignment feature. I then started to create the text frames, dragging them out to what I thought was a good size, and typing in the appropriate text, and adjusted the font size till it would be large enough to read when posted on my blog, but not too large that it would take up too much room. Some of the frames needed re-sizing to accommodate the text. I moved the frames around so that they were placed near the objects which they related to, and made sure that the line around each frame was removed. Then I proceeded to draw straight lines from the frames to the objects in the picture. In the lines menu you can choose how wide you want your lines (I think I did mine 5 pts) and you can also opt to add an arrow head. I coloured the lines orange, using the colour palette – this seemed to show up best against both the photo and the white background. I finally checked the placement of everything till I was satisfied, and then I exported and saved the page as a graphic (jpg), uploaded it to my Photobucket album and completed my blog post.

You could, at a pinch, do this sort of thing in Word, but Word really doesn’t lend itself well to desktop publishing – it’s a pain to use as the frames don’t want to stay put, and you can’t see what you are getting properly either.

The other question that came up was about my used kitchen towels! A lot of people use kitchen paper to mop up mess on their desks, and just throw it away. However, this is very wasteful of ink, and also a missed opportunity for creating art. Ever since I’ve used Distress Inks, I’ve always water-spritzed what’s left on the craft sheet, and either smooshed some card around in it to blot it up, and create interesting backgrounds, or used kitchen paper if I am in a hurry. When using the latter, I always try to use the same piece for different colour schemes (e.g. reds, blues – or mixing colours that blend well, e.g. reds/browns/yellows, etc.)– if you just use the same piece for everything you tend to end up with a mucky brown colour! Gradually the colour will build up on the paper, and when there’s enough on there, just start again with a fresh sheet, and store the other one away until it’s needed. Since getting my Dylusions Ink Sprays, this issue has become much more important to me, because you do a lot of mopping up, and you quickly become aware of the potential for waste!

So – what to do with this kitchen paper? I have made “hand-made” paper with it in the past, by layering small bits of it with gel medium to create a new paper, and added gilding flakes etc. – you could add scraps of other interesting fragments too, such as threads. This can then be used for projects – backgrounds etc.

You can also make flowers out of it, by cutting simple shapes and layering them up.

You might want to build it up around objects rather than working flat – for covering boxes etc. Just tear into small strips or scraps and mould it round. Here’s a small box I altered by adding tissue paper with mat gel medium.

I used a particularly delicious piece for the background in my recent project, the mixed media birthday card with the floating butterflies.

You could weave strips of the paper, or overlay them in different arrangements to make patterns with the different colours. Really, the only thing to limit you is your imagination! Have fun and be creative.

I’m hoping to do a blog post about using our rubbish in our art soon. Watch this space! Meantime, happy WOYWW, everybody.

46 comments:

  1. Love the idea of the used paper towels, they make some lovely artwork!
    Michelle #17

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great ideas here for using up your paper towels - I'm always on the lookout for things to do with my craft class in school that don't cost a lot - someof these ideas woud be perfect!
    Bernice #2

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous projects, I used to use a lot of PVA glue on everything, actually found a nearly full bottle of the stuff only this morning... makes me think of all the things I've made in the past...and wonder where they are now!... I made this HUGE light house once...so proud of it (It was monstrous really!)gave it to some friends...haven't seen them since! Have a great week! Happy WOYWW!?
    ((Lyn)) #18

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to look at last week's post. The idea of mopping up with paper towels then using them sound perfect! The little altered box looks great.

    happy WOYWW
    Hugs,
    Kay #31

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a few of us missed last week due to life. Looks like you have been busy the handmade paper and floating butterfly project are gorgeous. As always...
    Sandra @36

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome projects! I love gel medium...its a girls best friend if you are into crafting and art. Have a great week. Vickie #40

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tute Shoshi, now to wait until himself gets up and ask him about Serif Page Plus and see what I can play with.
    Great tips too and I look forward to your "rubbish" post (that sounds bad but I am sure you know what I mean) but please don't give me an excuse for saving more stuff for recycling. I am so bad!
    Glad you enjoyed the Olympics opening ceremony - did I tell you I worked with his twin sister? Gave me an added incentive to have the butterflies in the tummy for him. I am so enjoying the swimming at the moment and tend to push my foot to the floor along with them doing it on the side of the pool on a turn. And I grumble about 'him' kicking a football when watching a match LOL.
    Stay well - Hugs, Neet (who has restless legs today hence being up at stupid o'clock) xx #27

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for all that, Shoshi! I didn't even think about Microsoft Publishing being insertable in the blog. I appreciate the info about that AND the clever and green info about the paper towels!! Have a great week! Darnell #34

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shoshi trying to leave a comment via my new smart phone which may or may not work (smart phone - stupid operator) love the paper Cindy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have come up with some really wonderful ideas thank you for sharing and I still love the purple floating butterlies card.

    Eliza #16 again

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info about the annotating! I too am hooked - getting in some desk visits early!! Helen, 24

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Shoshi, the little dish with the lid reminded me of paper mache (?) that I used to do what seems like 100 year ago! Now that was a trip down memory lane. Saw your post before on the floating butterflies - you can never have too many butterflies and they are still gorgeous!! Have a Happy WOYWW, crafty hugs, Anne x #58

    ReplyDelete
  13. very pretty paper and lovely projects. I just use my kitchen roll as is after it has been used as blotting paper to die cut flowers and layer them up. There are so many uses for it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't technology issues annoying?? I used to use AppleWorks to annotate things but the upgraded OS makes it very sluggish. I vow to finally sort out a replacement. Oh and paper towels - fab resource. I used them for my WOYWW anniversary ATC and loved how they turned out. I've ironed them to freezer paper and run that thru my printer too, which works really well. Trash to treasure :) Once upon a time they called it TRAMP ART (tramp as in hobo, not trollop!)
    Happy WOYWW

    MA (8)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you get your power supply replaced soon. Adore the paper with gilding flakes and the little box is so cute. BJ#76

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely projects, I always have some kitchen roll around but don't always get around to using the paint/ink and dried sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'd never guess in a million years that those were kitchen towels!! I love the way you've used it in the cards, really gorgeous!
    Thank you for the birthday wishes!! I've had some lovely bead related gifts so am happily sorting out. Gonna keep me quiet for ages....maybe that's my boys gave them to me, lol!!
    Hugs, LLJ #1 xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I KNEW you'd have a good reason for the kitchen paper...I take it all back!! The Olympics are like a naughty habit aren't they! They're good for you though, you can rest while being involved, and I think in your life, that's energy in the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you mean re Olympics, have a good week with the rest. Fracnesca #90

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, who would have thought that a bit of daggy old paper towel could make such beautiful things. I will have to start saving my watercoloured paper towel bits.
    Your card and box are beautiful. The photo editing/typing is a bit technical for a blonde like me, so will keep well away from that :)
    Have a great week.
    Von #35

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your tips - I will give them a try! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  22. snap with the kitchen towels!!! Love the box, that's gorgeous!!! I save baby wipes too, they can be stitched into some fabulous pieces! Trish #10

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Shoshi

    Just watched us get a 3rd in the mens rowing - I too am enjoying the Olympics. We are off to see some athletics on Saturday. Callum and all his mates at the Gym are really excited about the success of the Mens Gymnastic team too. Great ideas for using mopping up sheets! The gold flake inclusions look fab. Thanks for popping in to see me. WOYWW Hugs from Helen 19

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oiled wool! Lol, never thought about that! I saw most of the Olympic ceremony on Friday night in a friends caravan, NBC decided to hold it (ignore it had already happened) and broadcast it in prime time, haven't seen any of the events at all though but I do look at the photos on line every day. Hope you get back to your desk soon!

    Hugs
    Brenda 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recycling at it's best Shoshi. Love it. Have a super Wednesday, hugs Erika. #114

      Delete
  25. i think many of us are distracted nby the olympics, shoshi!! brilliant opening ceremony, wasn't it??
    wishing you a creative and/or restful week :)
    no. 67

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Shoshi. I love all your waste-paper projects. I keep it all but I am not half as good as you at actually using any of it. Have a great WOYWW. Kate#100

    ReplyDelete
  27. Upcycling at its finest! Love that idea - I always feel a little guilty throwing away a little-used paper towel...I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What beautiful ways to use up inky leftovers! Happy WOYWW! Victoria no.71

    ReplyDelete
  29. I absolutely love your handmade paper!
    Gorgeous :)
    Mary Jo #107

    ReplyDelete
  30. When I first read the big "O", my mind went straight to the gutter, I really am naughty, but then realized you meant the Olympics! I am trying to cover some blogs during the less interesting events, lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely pieces, and a "get well soon" for your computer, what a pain that always is! We pretty much have the Olympics on all the time, too . . .

    :)trisha #117 this week

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks for the info re your pic from last week,will have a go myself now
    have a super woyww
    kay #82

    ReplyDelete
  33. I use paper towels to make book covers vases, boxes and so much more; check (http://materialmedia.blogspot.com/search/label/Sues%20Bleisweiss). this was about 8 years ago. torn strips of towel, covered with tulle were stitched down in a grid then cut and made into boxes. Check Sue Bleiseiss blog. She taught the best ever Mixed media class. She makes books and is into quilting. Contact me for more information and photos.
    Monica #42

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there the card that you made using the kitchen paper is stunning. Am sure if I tried it would just look like kitchen paper. Thanks for all your tips and ideas. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm with Sandee about the O word. Yeppurs. Your annotated photo intrigued me and while I could annotate a photo in publisher I had no way to turn it into a .jpg, .bmp, or .png that Blogspot would let me upload. I'm at work so I'm limited with what I have here. I do have some sort of photo editing software at home that would probably let me do it. Thing is I don't play around much on the computer at home because there are so much better things to mess around with there. I'm not really a sloppy stamper so I don't see me creating cool towels (I've heard dryer sheets are neat to sop up ink with and reuse). I've only recently gotten some sprays and I go outside with those. I do like what you've done with yours, espcially the purple piece with the floating butterflies. That's just scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! No objection to the O! Just a laugh that you'd admit you were too busy getting your O-face on to craft. Maybe too much of that dreadful book-50 shades of Grey. Or maybe that is an American thing too. Run, run away!

      Delete
  36. Wonderful projects Shoshi - you're too clever that's what!

    Happy WOYWW, Di x #11

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for answering all the questions that I know I had last week! You must be a whiz on the computer! I'm just learning to play around with PicMonkey a little so I really want to try something like what you did in your pic when I get better! Thanks for the inspiration!


    I'm having a giveaway, open worldwide this week. Come check it out if you get the chance!

    Amy E. #30
    scrapthissavethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous papers and projects Shoshi! Thanks so much for the visit this week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love that paper you made Shoshi - such a great idea using the kitchen roll - I always work on top of a large sheet of cartridge paper and I get some fabulous designs on it from over-spraying, sponging and all sorts of things that spill over the edge of the work. I love incorporating it in work as it always feels like a freebie!
    Your little box is delightful and I love the sand on the top - very clever idea! I also love the rich colour of the 80th birthday card - gorgeous - I be it was very well received.
    I'm now off to google faux porcelain as I am intrigued by what you have achieved with it - it's just amazing. Thank you so much for your inspiring and informative posts - it's always such a pleasure visiting you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. happy WOYWW! yes that annotated pic was great but i'm usually in too much of a hurry to finish my post to have time to put labels. the kitchen paper looks great!
    thank you for sharing!
    hugs,#13
    peggy aplSEEDS

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fab virtual desk this week, though I would say that some of the more basic versions of Microsoft Office don't include Publisher. My DTP weapon of choice is Adobe photoshop elements......

    Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love those papers you made with kitchen towels! I'm itching to try Dylusions. I'm addicting to making "paints" out of my Distress Inks on my nonstick surface mat. Thanks for visiting my blog and belated Happy WOYWW :D #23

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...