Sunday 12 September 2010

God's Knitting

When I was clearing out my room to make my ARTHaven, I came across a piece I'd made years and years ago, to illustrate some thoughts I'd been having at the time about how God is in control of our lives, however chaotic they might seem to us.

I had the thought that our lives are like a piece of knitting that God is doing - a work in progress. For anyone who has done Fair Isle (multi-coloured) knitting, you know that the back can end up as a tangle of different coloured yarns that are carried along, to be picked up when you want a new colour in the row. What we see is the back of this knitting. God is in control of the design, which He planned before the foundation of the earth (Ephesians 1:4) - He knows how it's going to turn out. While the work is being done, it can be messy on the back, which is the only bit we see.

However, with the eyes of faith, opened by the Holy Spirit, we may catch a glimpse of the right side of the work, but in reflection only ("through a glass darkly," 1 Corinthians 13:12) but when we are face to face with the Lord, we will see the whole picture, the right side, in all its beauty and splendour.

Throughout the work, the golden thread of God's love is present. Although I didn't think of this when I was making this piece, I did incorporate a cross into the design.

This was an experiment, really, and I didn't spend a lot of time getting a nice glossy finish on it - it's pretty roughly put together, but if you don't mind seeing the staples holding the knitting in place etc. I hope it means something to someone!!

Here is the piece closed, showing the "wrong" side of the knitting. I'd like it to have been a bit more messy than this, so that the design didn't show up quite so clearly:

God's Knitting Closed 8 Sep 10

Here it is, open, showing the right side of the knitting in the mirror.

God's Knitting Open 8 Sep 10

I hope this strikes a chord with someone, somewhere... If your life seems in a total mess at the moment, and without purpose or direction, and you can't make sense of it, remember that God, who loves you, has the design in His hands, and sees the final picture.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).

May God bless you all.

4 comments:

  1. I love this Shoshi....reminds us who is really in control. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so my Shoshi for such a uplifting and inspiring post. I just love the title "God's Knitting" and Romans 8:28 is one of my favorite passages. Prayers and blessings. Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shoshi, your piece of knitting looks very complex! I do like your analogy, even though I am not 'religious' I can 'see' where you are coming from.
    Thanks for commenting on my recent Card, always nice to know you have visited.
    I am uploading some Vintage Angel images from tomorrow, some should appeal to you as they are religious based.
    Enjoy your weekend, and stay well.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They are much appreciated. Spammers, please be aware that I read and moderate ALL comments, and yours will be deleted before publication, so please don't bother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...